- Three new dry sponges
- Aluminum pie tin or cake pan
- Measuring cup
- 1/4 cup table salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup laundry bluing (You can buy bluing at the grocery store under the brand name of Mrs.
Stewart’s Liquid Bluing.)
- 2 tablespoons ammonia
- Mixing bowl
- Metal spoon
- Blue and green food coloring
Process To Make Crystal Garden
1. Place the sponges into the pie tin.
2. Mix the salt, water, bluing, and ammonia in the bowl and stir well.
3. Pour the entire mixture onto the sponges. Spread out the thick stuff over the tops of each sponge
4. Take you food coloring and drip small drops over the sponges in random patterns.
5. Leave the pie tin out to sit for a couple days and observe the results.
The Science Behind Crystal Gardens.
In a crystal, atoms or molecules join together in a pattern that repeats itself over and over to create a
certain shape. Crystals grow by adding atoms or molecules to all its sides in the exact same pattern
as the atoms and molecules that were added before. Now go make a crystal garden with some
Let's do an science experiment and create a crystal garden. We will learn how atoms, molecules, and ions
arrange themselves in orderly repeating patterns. These beautiful crystals are fun to grow.
Weird Science Kids
fun cool exciting easy science experiments and
Eduacational Toys for kids