In this science experiment we will make some lava in cup. Well its not actually hot lava, but it looks
like it ! We will use food coloring, vegetable oil, and salt to simulate the hot volcano lava. This is a
great extension if your building a homemade volcano.
- Clear Glass
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Red Food Coloring
Process To Make Lava In A Cup
1) Add water to the cup until 3/4 full.
2) Drop in 5 drops of red food coloring.
3) Carefully and slowly pour about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil on top of the water. Notice the oil floats
on top of the water.
4) Take some salt and sprinkle it over the oil.
5) Check out the blobs of "lava" that begin to move up and down in the glass.
6) Add more salt to repeat.
The Science Behind Lava In A Cup
Oil floats on top of the water because it is lighter than water. The salt is heavier than oil so it sinks
down into the water and takes some oil with it. However, then the salt dissolves and back up goes
the oil! We think its neat! Congratulations you can show everyone how to make lava in a cup.
Oil and water video
Weird Science Kids
fun cool exciting easy science experiments and
Eduacational Toys for kids