Cardboard tube (a paper towel roll is okay, but a long tube from gift-wrapping paper is even better. You
can also take two or three paper towel rolls and tape them together.)
Materials Make A Rain Stick:
- Cardboard tube (a paper towel roll is okay, but a long tube from gift-wrapping paper is even
better. You can also take two or three paper towel rolls and tape them together.)
- About 60 1-inch nails
- Tape (masking or packing tape is good)
- Rice and/or small beans (uncooked!)
Process Make A Rain Stick
1. Paper tubes have a spiral seam. Use a marker to draw dots about half an inch apart, all the way
down the spiral seam of the tube.
2. Poke a nail all the way in at each dot. (Make sure the nails don't poke through the other side of the
tube.) You'll need about 30 nails for each paper towel tube.
3. Wrap tape around the tube to hold the nails in place.
4. Cut two circles of paper just a little bigger than the ends of the tube. Tape one of the circles over one
end of the tube. Cover the circle with tape so the whole end of the tube is sealed shut.
5. Put a handful of rice or beans into the open end of the tube. Cover the open end with your hand, and
turn the tube over. Add more rice or beans until you like the sound. (Beans will make a harder sound,
and rice will make a softer sound.)
6. Put the second circle of paper over the open end of the tube, and seal that end shut with tape.
7. Your rain stick is complete. Turn it over and listen to the rain.
Facts Make A Rain Stick
The rain stick is a musical instrument from South America. Traditionally, rain sticks are made from the
wood skeleton of a cactus. First, the thorns are pulled off and pushed back through the soft flesh of the
cactus. Then the cactus is left in the sun to dry--with the thorns on the inside. Later, the hollow cactus is
filled with small pebbles, and the ends are sealed with pieces of wood. Now grab some friends and
make a rain stick.
Thanks to http://www.exploratorium.edu for providing the experiment instructions.
Weird Science Kids
fun cool exciting easy science experiments and
Eduacational Toys for kids