Materials To Make Rock Candy Crystals
15cm piece of cotton string
A paper clip (or large plastic bead)
1 cup of water
2 cups of sugar
A glass jar
- Tie the 15 cm piece of cotton string to the middle of the pencil.
- Wet the string and roll it in sugar giving it a healthy coating. Then let this
- Tie the paper clip (or bead) onto the end of the string.
- Put the pencil across the top of a jar so that the string hangs down the
middle of the jar. If it hangs down too far, roll the string around the pencil
until the string is not touching the sides or bottom of the jar. The string will
act as a seed for the crystal. Any type of jar will do, but canning jars, pint
size are especially nice, they will endure the hot temperatures. Tall skinny
olive jars are also nice because they don't use up so much of the liquid
- Now that the string and pencil are ready remove them from the jar and put
- Get a helpful adult!
- Pour the water into a pan and bring it to boil.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of sugar into the boiling water, stirring until it dissolves.
- Keep adding more and more sugar, each time stirring it until it dissolves,
until no more will dissolve. This will take time and patience and it will take
longer for the sugar to dissolve each time. Be sure you don't give up too
- Have your friendly ADULT carefully pour the hot sugar solution into the jars
to the top. Then submerge the paper clip and string into the sugar
solution. Be sure the string hangs down in the middle of the jar.
- The Crystals above took about 2 weeks
The Science Behind Make Rock Candy Crystals
Now just wait. The sugar crystals will grow for the next few weeks. When you
mixed the water and sugar you made a SUPER SATURATED SOLUTION. This
means that the water could only hold the sugar if both were very hot. As the water
cools the sugar "comes out" of the solution back into sugar crystals on your
string. The string and paper clip act as a "seed" that they start to grow on. With
some luck and patience you will have a tasty scientific treat! Enjoy! Now get your
friends and make rock candy crystals.
Thanks to Sciencebob.com for providing the experiment instructions.
In this fun science experiment we will make rock candy crystals. We will grow sugar
crystals on a string and eat our delicious creation when finished. In the process we will
make a super saturated solution.
Weird Science Kids
fun cool exciting easy science experiments and
Eduacational Toys for kids