Let's have a great time using a spoon, fork, toothpick and glass to do a cool science experiment. We
will learn about the balancing point and center of gravity while doing it.
- Lighter (optional)
Watch The Utensil Balance Center of Gravity Video:
Process For Utensil Balance Center of Gravity Science Experiment
1) Obtain a matching fork and spoon set.
2) Fill the glass about 1/3 with water
3) Fasten the fork and spoon together as seen in the picture or video. The handle portions of the
utensils should face the same direction.
4) Place the toothpick into the fork and spoon attachment as seen in the pictures.
5) Now find the balancing point by hanging the entire assembly onto the glass. Experiment a bit with
the toothpick and glass to make it hang perfectly.
6) With adult supervision, use the lighter to ignite both ends of the toothpick.
The Science Behind the Utensil Balance Center of Gravity Experiment
We have just done a very cool demonstration of the balancing point and center of gravity. The center of
gravity is the point in which all of the weight or mass of an object appears to concentrated. In this
experiment the center of gravity is the balancing point where the toothpick meets the rim of the glass.
We burned the ends of the toothpick to illustrate the center of gravity is acting at the point where the
toothpick and glass meet and not on the ends of the toothpick.
Weird Science Kids
fun cool exciting easy science experiments and
Eduacational Toys for kids