Materials: - Water - Measuring Cup and Spoons - Zip Lock Bags - Toilet Paper or Paper Towels - Baking Soda - Vinegar
Watch the Bubble Bomb Video
Process To Make A Bubble Bomb:
1) Go outside and find a place to make a mess. The lawn works well.
2) Tear off a square or two of toilet paper from the roll.
3) Measure out 1 1/2 tablespoons of Baking Soda and put it on the toilet paper. Fold the toilet paper up into a square packet. This will serve as a time release for the chemical reaction.
4) Open the zip lock bag.
5) Add 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of very warm water.
5) Next very quickly drop the time release packet of Baking Soda into the zip lock bag and seal the zipper. You need to do this quickly or the chemical reaction will start fizzing and foaming making things hard. You may want to zip the bag 1/2 way shut before you drop the packet inside to get a head start! You can also pinch the packet inside the bag (above the liquid) with your fingers while you get it zipped up.
6) Let the packet drop into the water and vinegar solution.
7) Now give it a shake to ensure a good mix and set down. The chemical reaction will begin. The Carbon Dioxide gas will expand the bag. Get back because this baby is gonna blow!
The Science Behind The Bubble Bomb: We are generating a chemical reaction from combining an acid (Vinegar) and Base (Baking Soda). The reaction causes Carbon Dioxide gas to form. The gas expands and creates pressure inside the plastic bag. The pressure eventually builds up to the point where the bag explodes.